Column: High School and college share a lot but have quite a few differences

By Randi Riley, Staff Writer

High school and college, in some aspects, are very similar. Depending on the college one decides to attend, they might see some familiar faces ranging from childhood friends to classmates from their high school. The students attending college have a time period when they eat lunch as well, usually from noon to 1 p.m., and the duration of the subjects last for a little over an hour, just like high school. While high school and college can be similar, there are great differences between the two.

High schools, no matter if they are public or private, require students to attend for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week. College on the other hand gives students different time frames and different days to choose from for classes. For example, I have Freshman Comp I from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, but I could have chosen 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays if my job schedule interfered with school. One of my friends had to switch her Comp I class to a different hour because her music class clashed with her Comp class.

The workload in college is less stressful than high school as well. Though I am only a freshman, I can work at my own pace on a lot of my work, such as my psychology class and my Survey of Math class. There is barely any homework due the following day, too. High school, however, assigns various assignments and/or extra projects that are due days apart, whether it be the next day or a couple of days from then.