Top 10 Songs Charting iTunes – Alternative Genre

By RANDI RILEY, Staff Writer

The Alternative genre of music has to be my favorite out of the many genres of music the world has come up with. Alternative music (as defined by Wikipedia) is a category of rock music that refers to the genre’s distinction from mainstream commercial rock or pop music. Artists in this genre keep creating sounds that nobody has ever heard before, drawing me in each time a new song comes out. These 10 songs are a great example of that!

1- Bang! – AJR

This song is number 1 on the chart, as it should be. AJR is my favorite performing group at the moment, and coincidentally this is my favorite song by them! I could listen to this song all day if given the opportunity. The way it’s a mix of elevator music and gameday, football music gives me chills and an overall feeling of happiness!

2- Before You Go – Lewis Capaldi

Well, I feel sad after listening to this one. The mix of guitars, drums, and the pain in Capaldi’s raspy voice makes me feel sad and overwhelmed. This is a song that is perfect for laying in bed and crying to if one needed a good cry. This one deserves to be high in the charts.

3- Dance Monkey – Tones And I

A complete contrast from number 2, number 3 makes me want to go to a skating rink and skate, for some reason. It also makes me want to get up and dance, though I do not do that often. The piano hook is very happy-go-lucky and can draw anyone into this song with one listen, and boy does this girl have a voice!

4- my ex’s best friend – Machine Gun Kelly & blackbear

I’ve been brought back to my emo phase once again just listening to a song. A mix of punk rock and hip-hop, it’s super catchy despite the fact I hadn’t heard it before! This one makes me feel happy and gives me a fuzzy feeling in my heart because it’s a classic love song.

5- Someone You Loved – Lewis Capaldi

Why are all of Lewis Capaldi’s song so sad-sounding? This one makes me feel the same way Before You Go made me feel. His raspy voice and the minor piano accompaniment makes me feel very down and kind of sleepy. I just yawned while writing this so that further proves that I want to take a nap after listening to this.

6- bloody valentine – Machine Gun Kelly

Wow, we love another punk-sounding Machine Gun Kelly song! He usually does rap or hip-hop, but this new sound is really flattering for him. It brings me back to Middle School when I was riding the bus to school with my heavy black eyeliner and black attire. I miss it and regret it all at the same time. Another classic love song, it makes my heart feel fluttery.

7- Stunnin’ (feat. Harm Franklin) – Curtis Waters

At first I thought this song was about being a pretty boy, but listening to the whole thing I figured out that it’s pretty inappropriate. It’s catchy, but a lot more vulgar than I thought! The bass and synthesizer makes me want to dress up and throw a fashion show.

8- my future – Billie Eilish

I don’t know why my girl Billie isn’t higher up on the chart, but I’ll let it slide just this once. The first part of this song makes me feel zen and sad at the same time, but the second part makes me want to dance and sing at the top of my lungs. Billie has such a strong voice that makes you feel every emotion at the same time, and that’s why I love every song of hers. They’re always something I’ve never heard before.

9- everything i wanted – Billie Eilish

I’m at least proud that my girl is on the top 10 twice! This song is equally as good as “my future,” maybe a little better. It makes me feel like Billie is sitting next to me, telling me that everything is going to be okay, comforting me when I am sad. The bass in this song is also very comforting, like a hug from a friend.

10- Visitor – Of Monsters and Men

I confused this band with a different one with a similar name and I got a little scared, but this song makes me feel really determined to finish things I have been putting off. The electric guitar and the woman’s vocals gives me great hope that I can accomplish things and get over this pandemic. I think this should be higher up in the chart, but whatever works!